Friday, April 17, 2009

Strawberry Jam

I have been promising John that I would make jam the first time I saw stawberries for $1 a pound and today was the day. I had a hard time finding MCP pectin - Walmart and Albertson's didn't have it, but our little grocery store here in town did. This is about 4 gallons of jam. It took 13 pound of strawberries ($13), 8 packages of pectin ($16), 2 cups of lemon juice (50 cents) and 16 pounds of sugar ($7.50)!! That comes out to $37 or $9.25 a gallon.

I will have to run to town in the morning before paintball to buy more containers to put it in! I think John will share if you wanna come have a taste.

For your viewing pleasure I have included this photo of the center piece I created for the table at the talent show last night. Everyone guessed right away which table I decorated!

13 comments:

  1. Yu-hu-hu-meee! I'll come have a taste! :) I need to come up there and buy some of the "good" pectin too. Dad must be so happy right now. lol

    Go mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I love the centerpiece. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I love that jam on ice-cream, it's practically one of the best toppings ever!! I loved the centerpiece, (at first I thought you had bowls of candy all around:). Sounds like you might have lots of hungry visitors this next while excited for a taste!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so good. I love your strawberry jam. Nothing you can buy compares.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!!! I've been making my own bread lately and your jam would be perfect!! How about a swap, bread for jam and jam for bread :) I also love that fresh fruits are starting to appear in the grocery stores, it really signals that sping is too far away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey this is me loree.. my pc is down just so you know...anyway, that jam looks delicious! I can't wait to try some :) and I really love your centerpiece! you are too cute! It is perfect! have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum!!! I can't wait for my share! Have you ever thought of selling it in stores? You would be a millionaire ya know. :)

    You should post the recipe. . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jill - I would love to swap - bring the bread when you come!!

    Merilee - sooo funnee - I have more money than I can spend already!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made strawberry jam today too! Nothing better than yummy wheat toast with homemade strawberry jam! (well almost nothing :)).

    ReplyDelete
  10. your blog is great, way to go on the strawberry jam. It is so sad you can buy it for cheaper then you can make it. But I still make it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. MMMMM..mmmmm.mmmm! Cannot wait to have a taste! No one makes better jam than Granny! The center piece is too cute...great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think Loree should get some good ideas from that center piece mom! Forget flowers and fruit...the paintball arrangement is so artistic :)

    ReplyDelete